The outcome of the December 19, 2016 election is another disaster for environmentalists. Beginning in November, environmental advocacy organizations have made their usual response: a plea for more money.
The appeal for funds has become an end in and of itself rather than a means to an end. Environmental organizations will raise more money in reaction to the complete take-over of government by a single political party, but species extinction and climate heating will continue as before on an ever accelerating path.
As long as fund raising remains the goal, radical naturalists and well-meaning environmentalists alike will continue to lose wild-nature one piece at a time until it is gone.
We should instead see fund raising only as a means, and direct action (with results) as an end.
Here are a few things we can do now:
- Admit that as goes the occupation regime in Washington, D.C., so goes the environment (nothing but disaster ahead without our concentrated opposition).
- Reject the prevailing trend that partisanship must trump patriotism.
- Accept that acting to save our environment from destruction and the agents that intend to bring that destruction about, is an act of urgent patriotism.
- Agree that doing violence in doing so is not answer (we don’t want to become like them)
- Pay attention to the “unpresidented” intervention by a foreign government in choosing the current leadership in Washington. React in the following way:
- Call the election result what it is—illegitimate. Become an election denier, a Dearther (for the dearth of information provided by intelligence agencies and others that might have changed the election result).
- Shame Democratic politicians into not attending the inaugural on January 20 (nothing else will get their attention). If they attend, they will validate the fraudulent election result.
- Demand the appointment of an Independent Special Prosecutor to investigate, without restrictions, the actions of a foreign government in influencing the election.
- Demand the appointment of a second Independent Special Prosecutor to investigate the actions of the FBI over its political intervention in the election.
- Demand an immediate disclosure of all tax and business records by the new elected and appointed officials regarding their financial ties to foreign governments.
- Stop referring to fascist (euphemism: “alt-right”) propaganda as “fake news.” The word to use instead: lies.
While raising money to support specific environmental causes is necessary, emphasizing money is not the answer—in that direction lays despair and hopelessness. Our opponents will always raise more.
Our usual defensive/reactive posture must be replaced by its opposite. We must fight to save nature (or itself and for our own self-interest) and create awareness that what we do in the world, destruction or preservation, is the very definition of morality.
Writing on the Wall photo by David L. Witt
Please follow and like us: